Monday, June 24, 2013

Laptops, websites, blog posts and social media .....oh my!

OK - I am the first to admit that I was one highly organized person; That is, when I worked for other people. Now, it is a daily, if not hourly struggle to balance being a stay at home wife and mom to  6 (yep that's correct) 6 fur babies of the canine variety. 
So......as I re-entered this crazy world of self employment, I knew the basics of what I would need to do. I needed a domain, then a host and of course a website and shopping cart. I organized myself and checked each of these off my list. See I can be organized.  I was convinced that this would just be a breeze... wrong! I had forgotten that someone had to create the website and shopping cart and with my limited budget, that person would have to be me....no problem. I did it once before in 1993. Little did I realize how much the world of internet business had changed......
Oh, and did I mention I also am the creator of the products I sell? Yep I would have to really become organized!! 
As the process got underway in 2012, I began to realize how little I really did know about the new internet world so I began reading, asking questions, calling my host company, and just trying to figure out the meaning of life. Oh and 
 then there was a Facebook "fan" page and of course a blog.
In the end, I had to scrap the product line and here I am starting all over.
What went wrong along the way? A couple of things really, but they all point to one thing when all is said and done; I underestimated the amount of time and energy it would take for one person to launch a business on their own and the amount of - yep... here it comes...... organization.
I am still not where I want to be yet, but I have a better understanding of what needs to be done and with my improved organization, I am confident I will succeed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do take a moment to share your thoughts..... I read each one and do try and respond regularly. Best Wishes ...... Judith